Fall Creek Township’s District 6 schoolhouse stood on R.P. Kimberlin’s land at the corner of Brooks School Road and East 116th Street1 in 1866. That ground may have originally been deeded from the Brook family, as Brook’s Grove was a popular spot for school reunions a century ago. That picnic spot was situated just across the road from the schoolhouse2.
The current schoolhouse was built in 18913. It measured 23 x 38 feet and featured a slate roof and a 3-inch deep water well4. Unfortunately, the building’s history as a working schoolhouse is muddled since a 1934 attendance survey of Fall Creek Township’s schools doesn’t list it as in operation5.
A 1938 attendance roster of Fall Creek Township’s schools doesn’t list the Brooks Svgbfchool as functional either6, but the obituary of a long-time Fall Creek Township teacher, Notra Young, mentioned that he taught at the District 6 schoolhouse through the winter of 1939-407. It’s likely the the schoolhouse closed temporarily and was later brought back into operation. That was a common arrangement that also happened with Fall Creek Township’s two-room Bethlehem schoolhouse.
At any rate, two of Fall Creek Township’s old schoolhouses -Brooks and Highland- were put up for sale by the township trustee in 19438. The schoolhouse was owned by private parties for many years.
In 1993, the administrators of Fall Creek Township moved into the old schoolhouse, renovated the old building, and built additions in order to accommodate their needs9. Today, the building has been expanded several times, but is still used by the township.
1 Warner, C. S. (1866). Map of Hamilton county, Indiana. atlas. C.A.O. McClellen & C.S. Warner.
2 Brooks Reunion (1918, August 20). The Noblesville Daily Ledger. p. 5.
3 Stoops, F. (1982, May 21). Many Old Hamilton County School Buildings Still Stand.
4 Notice of Sale (1943, August 30). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 3.
5 Total School Enrollment Shows Loss 141 (1934, October 2). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 6.
6 The Grades In Fall Creek (1938, October 10). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 1.
7 Fall Creek building opened (1993, January 11). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 12.
8 Notra Young Took His Life By Own Hand (1940, October 26). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 1.
9 Fall Creek building opened (1993, January 11). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 12.