Delaware County’s original Hamilton Township District 4 schoolhouse was built sometime between 1874 and 1881 on a triangular plot of land owned by Adam Williamson. The plot is now bounded by East County Road 400-N, North County Road 200-E, and Indiana State Road 67. Locals soon referred to the building by Williamson’s name1, and the old Pleasant Grove Church was built nearby shortly afterwards2.
The District 4 schoolhouse moved in 1897 when the extant Williamson school was built on Thomas McCulloch’s land. It featured a large classroom along with two small cloakrooms3 in a layout that closely resembled a previous plan for a model schoolhouse4.
The schoolhouse was abandoned after only two years in operation during Hamilton Township’s initial wave of consolidation. and its students were transferred to the Royerton school5. Hamilton was the first township in Delaware County to consolidate its rural schoolhouses and mostly accomplished the task by 19036.
The old District 4 schoolhouse is now a home. The building is one-and-a-half stories tall, with an entrance underneath a squat bell tower. Between 1917 and 1919, Norman Richards altered the structure to include a rear addition connected to the original building by an enclosed porch. Richards also lowered the original arched windows and bricked in the bell tower’s louvered openings7.
Today, the District 4 school is the only Delaware County township schoolhouse to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places, an honor it received in 1984.
1 Helm, T. B. (1881). Mount Pleasant Township. In History of Delaware County, Indiana: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers (pp. 268–269). book, Kingman Brothers.
2 Greene, D. (1954, January 21). Seen and Heard in Our Neighborhood. The Muncie Star Press. p. 6.
3 National Register of Historic Places. (1984, December 27). Hamilton Township Schoolhouse No. 4. National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination Form. United States Department of the Interior.
4 (See footnote 1).
5 Kemper, G. W. H. (1908). Education in Delaware County. In A Twentieth Century History of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 1 (Vol. 1, p. 252). book, Lewis Publishing Company.
6 (See footnote 1).
7 (See footnote 4).