It wasn’t unusual for old schoolhouses to be relocated over the years. Washington Township’s District 7 building in Delaware County certainly was! In 1874, the building was located on the west side of Gaston-Matthews Pike about half a mile north of West County Road 1000-North on the land of Samuel S. Carmine1.
Thomas Helm, a local historian, related that the schoolhouse here was known as “Carman2.” It was there in 1887 as well, on land owned by Mary Milholland3. The following year, Catharine Brady deeded a portion of her land at the northeast corner of the pike and 1000-North to the Washington Township trustee for the use of a school, and the extant structure was built shortly afterward4. In 1900, William McCormick owned the land surrounding the schoolhouse5.
The schoolhouse closed at the end of the 1918-19 season in order to consolidate into Gaston when Robert Bryant was the teacher at the building6. Later, it was converted to a dwelling. You wouldn’t know it was a once a schoolhouse by simply driving past!
In 1988, Bill Spurgeon listed the schoolhouse as the Miller school but Muncie resident William Cortright corrected him, calling it the “Carmin” school7. Cortright’s spelling seems to be the correct one based on deed records I found8.
1 Kingman Brothers. (1874). Map of Delaware County, Indiana. Chicago, IL.
2 Helm, T. B. (1881). Mount Pleasant Township. In History of Delaware County, Indiana: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers (pp. 268–269). book, Kingman Brothers.
3 Griffing, B. N. (1887). Mt. Pleasant Township. An atlas of Delaware County, Indiana . map, Philadelphia, PA; Griffing, Gordon, & Company.
4 Delaware County, Indiana. (1888 June 20). Deed Book 62. p. 17.
5 Delaware County Map, 1900 (2018, October 1). Map Collection, Indiana Division, Indiana State Library.
6 Delaware County Public Schools. (1918). School directory, Delaware County public schools, Delaware County, Indiana 1918-1919. Muncie, IN.
7 Spurgeon, B. (1988, September 21). Seen and Heard in Our Neighborhood. The Muncie Star. p. 4.
8 Delaware County, Indiana. (1881 November 25). Deed Book 62. p. 199.