White River Township’s District 1 school was commonly known as “Lost,” thanks to its location in a dense forest1. Originally serving District 4, the schoolhouse sat on land owned by G.W. Bousman2.

A replacement school was erected on the same site in 18943, but it was moved across the road in 1913 after township officials filed suit for a portion of J.C. Mader’s land4. Its new location led locals to refer to the structure as the Mader school5.
The District 1 school closed in 1919 so its students could attend the McKinley consolidated school built in 1911. William Coddington purchased the old schoolhouse in 1924 and remodeled the structure into a residence6.
Today, the building -hardly identifiable as an old schoolhouse- is still a home.
Sources Cited
1 Hinshaw, G. (2008). A History of Education in Randolph County, Indiana. Retrieved February 13, 2022.
2 Warner, C.S (1865). 1865 Wall-Map of Randolph County. C.A.O. McClellan & C.S. Warner. Waterloo, Indiana. map.
3 (See footnote 1).
4 Petition for appropriation of real estate (1913, June 26). The Winchester Democrat.
5 (See footnote 1).
6 (See footnote 1).
