In 1923, the District 9: Watson school -taught by Olivia Bugh- became Washington Township’s last operating one-room schoolhouse when the six-room Washington School opened in District 81. The schoolhouse operated as late as 1927, when its students achieved the highest attendance rate, 99.71%, of any schoolhouse in the county2.
The students of the Watson schoolhouse were often pace-setters when it came to attendance. Their 100% rate in 1922 also contributed to Blackford County’s highest-ever total- 98.36% in all of its rural schools3.
After its closure, the District 9: Watson school was altered to serve as a home.It appears to have had its roof lowered and its been added to on its east and west fronts.
1 Output Declines In Window Glass (1923, August 13). The Muncie Star Press. p. 5.
2 Hartford City (1927, November 12). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 11.
3 Record Is Broken In Rural Schools (1922, October 26). The Muncie Star Press. p. 6.