It sucks to say it, but not a whole lot is known about Jackson Township’s District 8 school. In 1880, it sat on the Epperly farm1, which is how the schoolhouse got its colloquial name. That year, the extant brick building appears to have been erected2.
The Epperly School continued until 1903, when a two-story, two-room structure3 was erected in the community of Hamilton. That year, students of the former District 7, along with District 8, were sent to the larger school.
Today, the old District 8: Epperly Schoolhouse is a home. It’s one of two schoolhouses that still stands in Jackson Towship.
1 Kingman Brothers. (1880). History of Madison County, Indiana with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches. Chicago, IL.
2 Madison County Office of Information & GIS Services. (2021). Parcel ID: 1899 48-11-07-100-002.000-016
3 Schools of Jackson Township Good Ones (1904, February 5). The Elwood Daily Record. p. 1.