Wayne Township’s District 7 schoolhouse was apparently known by number and doesn’t appear to have had a colloquial name. In 1866, the building sat on 160 acres of land owned by the Huntzinger family1. Based on the building’s appearance, it probably replaced a log or frame structure in the 1890s.
Along with the District 9 schoolhouse, the District 7 building closed after Wayne Township’s 1919-20 school term2. The District 7 schoolhouse was sold at auction with the abandoned Districts 1, 2, and 8 schools in 19403.
The Ola Mussleman grove across Cyntheanne Road from the schoolhouse was home to reunions of former District 7 students from the 1940s through the 1960s4. In 1992, the old schoolhouse made an appearance on an “Endangered List” of historic structures exhibited at the Noblesville-Southeastern Public Library5.
Nevertheless, new owners refurbished the old District 7 school into a dwelling around the new millennium6. It remains a home today.
1 Warner, C. S. (1866). Map of Hamilton county, Indiana. atlas. C.A.O. McClellen & C.S. Warner.
2 Hamilton County Public Schools (1919). Teacher’s directory: names and addresses of officers and teachers of Hamilton County Public Schools, 1929-1930. Noblesville, IN.
3 Notice of Sale of Township Abandoned School Properties (1940, March 18). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 5.
4 School No. 7 (1948, September 8). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 4.
5 Extinction possible (1992, November 5). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 5.
6 Hamilton County Office of Information & GIS Services. (2022). Parcel ID: 12-12-05-00-00-009.000. Hamilton County, Indiana Assessor. map, Noblesville, IN.